When It's Over,
It's time to move on
Divorce Lawyer Modesto, CA
Divorce Lawyer in Modesto, CA
If you want to get a divorce from your spouse, you should consult a divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA promptly. A divorce is a complicated ordeal that can cause you a great deal of stress. A lawyer can guide you through the process and make things a little less difficult.
Tips for Communicating With Your Divorce Lawyer
A skilled divorce lawyer is one of the most important assets you can have in a divorce. If you know to properly communicate with your lawyer, you will be able to get more out of his or her services. Here are some helpful tips for communicating with your lawyer.
- Tell your lawyer the whole truth. Your divorce lawyer won’t be able to properly help you if he or she doesn’t know the truth. There may be issues in your divorce that you’re embarrassed about, but you must remember that your lawyer won’t judge you. He or she has likely heard it all before. For example, if you had an affair during your marriage, you should let your know because it will likely come out anyway.
- Listen to your lawyer’s advice. Throughout your divorce proceedings, your lawyer will provide you with a lot of helpful advice. For instance, he or she may advise you against talking about your divorce on social media. Your lawyer has your best interests at heart, so it’s important to take the advice seriously. If your lawyer throws out too much information at you one day and you don’t understand something, don’t be afraid to ask for clarification.
- Don’t hesitate to call your lawyer about your concerns. A divorce is a very trying process that involves many complexities. If you ever are concerned about something when you’re just sitting at home, don’t keep it to yourself. Don’t be afraid to call your divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA to talk it out. Your lawyer should be more than willing to speak during off hours.
- Have realistic expectations. Even if you work with a skilled and divorce lawyer, there is no guarantee that you will get everything you want out of your divorce. There’s some give and take. For example, you might get the house, but not full custody of your children. If you understand this from the beginning, you will be less likely to be disappointed.
5 Things Not To Do During Your Divorce
1. Don’t Badmouth Your Spouse in Front of Your Kids
If you speak ill of your spouse in front of your kids, you’re not only damaging their relationships with both you and your spouse. You’re also putting yourself in danger of being charged with parental alienation, which can hurt your chances for the custody agreement you want. If you need to blow off steam, a divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA, such as Attorney Bernie, might recommend speaking with a therapist or counselor. One close and trusted friend could also be an option.
2. Don’t Play the Blame Game
In no-fault divorce states like California, you don’t have to prove your spouse did anything wrong during your marriage. You can simply state that you have irreconcilable differences — that your marriage is broken and you can’t fix it. Blaming your spouse for all the things you feel they’ve done to you is a sure way to make you miserable throughout the divorce proceedings. It also makes it more likely that you’ll have a contested divorce, that you won’t be able to agree on the conditions of your divorce and will have to have a judge decide for you.
3. Don’t Blow up Your Marriage on Social Media
You’re probably heard on TV that you have the right to remain silent, and that anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. A divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA, might advise you that the same thing goes for getting a divorce. Your spouse can use anything you say on social media against you in court. This holds true for text messages and emails as well.
4. Don’t Put Money in Joint Accounts
This may sound obvious, but you’ve been in the habit of depositing your paycheck into joint accounts for years. Open new bank accounts for yourself and start putting your money there. Suggest that your spouse do the same thing so you can start disentangling your finances.
5. Don’t Completely Cut Ties With Your Ex
Cutting your ex off completely is going to make your divorce more contentious and complicated than it needs to be. Keeping open lines of communication will help the process go more smoothly and be more likely to have a settlement result in your favor. A divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA, such as Attorney Bernie would remind you that talking to your ex is also going to impact child custody, support, and activities for decades to come.
Qualities to Look for in a Divorce Lawyer
When you’re going through a divorce, it’s important to have a skilled lawyer on your side. A lawyer can help you fill out the paperwork accurately and on time, provide objectivity and improve your chances of obtaining a fair settlement. Here are some important qualities to look for in a divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA.
- Experience. Not every lawyer can successfully handle a divorce case. Divorce is a specialized area of law, so it’s critical to find a lawyer who has experience dealing with divorce cases. He or she will then be aware of the specific divorce laws in your state and can give you better representation. If possible, try to retain a lawyer who has experience with your specific type of divorce.
- Communicative. Before you hire a divorce lawyer, make sure that he or she has good communication skills. During your divorce, you will have a lot of information thrown your way and you might not understand everything initially. That’s what your lawyer is there for. He or she should be able to explain things in terms that you can understand. If you have trouble understanding your lawyer, it may be time to go with someone else.
- Available. A divorce lawyer can have all the experience and talent in the world, but if he or she does not have the time to take your case, it won’t work out. A divorce is a stressful process, so you’ll want to receive frequent updates from your lawyer and be able to get in touch with him or her easily. If the lawyer does not get back to you in a timely manner, it may be time to hire someone else.
- Honest. It is also important to work with a divorce lawyer who is always honest with you. He or she shouldn’t just tell you what you want to hear. If a roadblock comes up in your case, your lawyer should tell you right away. Also, if you are doing things that could jeopardize your case, your lawyer should inform you.
- Creative. At first, creativity doesn’t sound like a quality a divorce lawyer should have to possess. However, it can actually be a quite useful trait. Issues can arise out of nowhere in a divorce case, and a creative lawyer may be able to come up with innovative solutions quickly.
3 Questions to Ask Your Divorce Lawyer
If you’re going through a divorce, it’s normal to have questions. Divorce is a confusing time in anyone’s life, and it’s important to eliminate some confusion where you can. One of the best ways you can eliminate the guesswork from your divorce is by hiring an experienced attorney. They’ll be able to answer the questions you have and give you peace of mind as you head into this new phase of life. If you’re concerned about the way your divorce is going, here are some questions you can ask your lawyer.
1. What Can I Do To Make This Easier?
One of the most common questions of divorcees is how to make their case easier. There’s no denying it, a divorce can be a messy and complicated thing. While drama may be unavoidable, it is possible to lessen the chaos you endure. By trusting the advice of a divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA, you can help make your case a little easier. Your attorney has your best interests in mind, so it’s important to trust their advice when it comes to your case. Listening to your Attorney Bernie divorce lawyer can help make your divorce case easier for both you and your family.
2. How Should I Get In Touch With You?
Another question you should ask your divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA, to minimize your stress levels is how you can contact them. At every stage of the divorce process, it’s important to be able to contact your lawyer with relevant information. Before you get fully into the legal process, ask your Attorney Bernie lawyer how best to contact them. Having this open line of contact will give you peace of mind by being able to stay up to date on your case.
3. What Can I Expect To Pay?
Finally, you can ask your attorney for an estimate of how much you’ll end up paying. Between legal fees and things such as child support, divorce can be an expensive process. When you’re in consultation with a divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA, you have the right to know your expected cost. Your attorney won’t be able to give you a concrete cost upfront, but they should be able to give you an estimate. Knowing the general cost you’ll be paying during the divorce process will help you plan the next few months; don’t hesitate to ask your lawyer for an appraisal of your total divorce costs.
Schedule a consultation with a divorce lawyer in Modesto, CA today. Call AttorneyBernie.com now.